the QUeen's HOTEL.
The Queen's Hotel was one of the pioneer hostelries of Port Hope, located on Walton Street in the heart of Port Hope. When it opened in 1870, The Queen’s Hotel boasted 50 guest rooms, steam-heat and the best in modern furnishings. Spacious parlours, bright, well-ventilated, comfortably furnished rooms with running hot and cold water, telephone connections and five large sample rooms for commercial men were prominent features of this establishment.
The dining room at The Queen’s represented the height of 19th century sophistication, elegantly decorated and renowned for its impeccable service. The commodious rooms were spacious and airy, bathed in natural light. The café offered only the choicest brands of liquors and cigars.
People who travelled soon learned to appreciate the meticulous attention to detail and genuine hospitality that were the hallmarks of The Queen’s Hotel. Indeed, The Queen’s Hotel was without a rival between Toronto and Belleville.